At Facebook, we are passionate about connecting people with the businesses they care most about. One of the ways that we do this is through the products we build. To foster further innovation in the digital advertising space and to deepen our collaboration with the academic community, Facebook is pleased to invite the academic community to respond to this call for research proposals on ad experiences. We are interested in supporting research to help us deepen our understanding of people’s ad experiences on Facebook and Instagram. A few examples of topics of interest for this RFP include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Ad targeting
- What makes people feel comfortable or uncomfortable with certain ads?
- What makes an ad bad or good with regard to content, context, and targeting?
- User experience
- How can we improve people’s experiences with ads?
- How can we give people better control over the ads that they see?
- How can we improve people’s understanding of how Facebook targets online ads?
- Approaches to increase trust
- How can new product and policy approaches increase trust?
- How does transparency and control influence people’s trust?
Facebook will grant awards of up to $50K USD per awardee to fund projects of up to one year in duration. This RFP challenge is open to applicants from academic institutions worldwide. This includes individual researchers addressing a well-defined problem, or multiple university departments collaborating with a diverse set of skills to solve a more complex multi-disciplinary challenge. We encourage proposals of diverse perspectives from emerging scholars and researchers around the world studying these issues.